Connect welding corner in 3D AutoCad.

Emboss 2014

What is the easiest way to connect the 2 welding pieces 3/16 in weld in 3D AutoCad?      I was trying to use chamferedge command but not successful.   Thanks 

Edited by Emboss 2014

I have moved your thread to the  AutoCAD 3D Modelling & Rendering Forum, you posted in the 3DS Max forums.

At that point, I would probably make them meet so they could be beveled 45°, use the rotate or taper face in Solid Editing .

You could extend them further and use interference as well.

Though you could just model a piece to fit.

Hard to say without an actual drawing, but I would have went about the whole weld a bit different.

18 hours ago, Emboss 2014 said:

What is the easiest way to connect the 2 welding pieces 3/16 in weld in 3D AutoCad?      I was trying to use chamferedge command but not successful.   Thanks

If you UNION the two objects together, you should be able to use the CHAMFEREDGE command.

Chamfer.jpg

11 minutes ago, Cad64 said:

If you UNION the two objects together, you should be able to use the CHAMFEREDGE command.

Chamfer.jpg

How did you union them?  Do I have to extend the two welds to overlap each other then use the union ? Thank

4 hours ago, SLW210 said:

I have moved your thread to the  AutoCAD 3D Modelling & Rendering Forum, you posted in the 3DS Max forums.

At that point, I would probably make them meet so they could be beveled 45°, use the rotate or taper face in Solid Editing .

Hard to say without an actual drawing, but I would have went about the whole weld a bit different.

I’m so sorry for posting in the wrong location.  I will pay more attention next time.   I will try using the taper command.    Thank you 

39 minutes ago, Emboss 2014 said:

How did you union them?  Do I have to extend the two welds to overlap each other then use the union ? Thank

No, I'm talking about your two objects. I don't know what they are, but one is purple and the other is orange. Run the UNION command and combine those two objects together into one object. Then you can run the CHAMFEREDGE command to create the chamfer in the corner.

If you would actually post a .dwg. it could be shown easier.

As mentioned in your other thread, I usually just use Chamferedge and Filletedge to make welds. Union the 2 parts and Chamfer the edge where they join.

Fillet Weld 3D.dwg

When I need to create welding profile then extrude it then use chamferedge after.  For create profile file to extrude, do i use PLINE and joint them?  

I have simple question.  I’m in 3D and tried to draw a closed loop profile in yellow so that I can extrude or presspull it 3/16 in tall.  I can not make yellow profile as PLINE or join them as one piece.   PEDIT didn’t work for me or join.  I use PLINE to trace the loop but as I m drawing on the LEFT view the cursor won’t let me draw vertically.  What is your advice?  

IMG_9780.jpeg

On 5/1/2024 at 10:05 AM, Emboss 2014 said:

I have simple question.  I’m in 3D and tried to draw a closed loop profile in yellow so that I can extrude or presspull it 3/16 in tall.  I can not make yellow profile as PLINE or join them as one piece.   PEDIT didn’t work for me or join.  I use PLINE to trace the loop but as I m drawing on the LEFT view the cursor won’t let me draw vertically.  What is your advice? 

It would be helpful if you could provide screenshots that are zoomed out a little more. I can't see how your UCS is oriented, but judging by your crosshairs, it looks like you're trying to draw on the Y,Z plane. You can only draw 2D polylines on the X,Y plane, so you will need to rotate your UCS so that the X,Y plane is oriented in the direction that you want to draw.

UCS.jpg

On 5/3/2024 at 10:21 AM, Cad64 said:

It would be helpful if you could provide screenshots that are zoomed out a little more. I can't see how your UCS is oriented, but judging by your crosshairs, it looks like you're trying to draw on the Y,Z plane. You can only draw 2D polylines on the X,Y plane, so you will need to rotate your UCS so that the X,Y plane is oriented in the direction that you want to draw.

UCS.jpg

My UCS icon disappeared in the model.  I just turned it back on using UCSICON command.   Anyway, to draw on the right plane.  Did I understand it correctly per screenshot? For XY plane would TOP and Bottom on viewcube considered as XY plane? Just want to clarify.  

IMG_9891.jpeg

Yes, you are correct. Top will always be the XY plane. If you rotate your UCS 90 degrees, you will see the Viewcube update and "Top" will now be on the side of the Viewcube.

XY Plane.jpg

On 4/30/2024 at 8:48 AM, Cad64 said:

No, I'm talking about your two objects. I don't know what they are, but one is purple and the other is orange. Run the UNION command and combine those two objects together into one object. Then you can run the CHAMFEREDGE command to create the chamfer in the corner.

23 hours ago, Cad64 said:

Yes, you are correct. Top will always be the XY plane. If you rotate your UCS 90 degrees, you will see the Viewcube update and "Top" will now be on the side of the Viewcube.

XY Plane.jpg

I’m still little confused on which one controls my drawing view that I want to draw on per attached?
For example: on pic if i want to draw on the RIGHT PLANE , do i click the RIGHT on the view CUBE and start drawing or do i also have to change on the drop down on the top of screen on Coordinates ribbon?  

What weird on this drawing only is that look like I can draw on any view on the object without have to change plane on the view cube.  I can’t do this on Other drawings Thank you 

IMG_9903.jpeg

You don't have to be in any specific view. I rarely change my view to Front or Right while working. In fact, I don't even use the Viewcube, I have it turned off. The main thing you have to pay attention to while working in Autocad 3D is where your XY plane is located. If you need to work on the Right side of the model, just rotate your UCS to align the XY plane with the face of the model where you need to work and then continue on.

• Thanks 1

So don’t pay attention to what the viewcube said.  I want to draw a circle on the top face and somehow my XY  UCS icon is matching with the view I want. Is that what you mean? Sounds like alway draw on XY Plane

IMG_9908.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Emboss 2014 said:

So don’t pay attention to what the viewcube said.  I want to draw a circle on the top face and somehow my XY  UCS icon is matching with the view I want. Is that what you mean? Sounds like alway draw on XY Plane

Yes, the Top view will always be looking down on the XY plane. If you switch to Front view on the Viewcube, you'll be looking at the XZ plane and if you switch to the Right side on the Viewcube, you'll be looking at the YZ plane.

The main thing is to just consider the Viewcube as a visual reference, to see which way your model is facing and make sure you're not looking at it upside down or something. As for working on the model, always adjust your UCS so the XY plane is aligned with the face you want to work on. In your screenshot, if the UCS was rotated 90 degrees, you wouldn't be able to create that cylinder on the face you're pointing at.

56 minutes ago, Cad64 said:

Yes, the Top view will always be looking down on the XY plane. If you switch to Front view on the Viewcube, you'll be looking at the XZ plane and if you switch to the Right side on the Viewcube, you'll be looking at the YZ plane.

The main thing is to just consider the Viewcube as a visual reference, to see which way your model is facing and make sure you're not looking at it upside down or something. As for working on the model, always adjust your UCS so the XY plane is aligned with the face you want to work on. In your screenshot, if the UCS was rotated 90 degrees, you wouldn't be able to create that cylinder on the face you're pointing at.

Greatly appreciated the help.  This is all new for me.